The Project MEDSAL is a research project (www.medsal.eu) focusing on groundwater salinization in the Mediterranean area, funded by the PRIMA Program (Partnership for Research and Innovation in the Mediterranean Area), and running for 36 months starting from September 2019. MEDSAL constitutes a joint Euro-Mediterranean cooperation network of organizations from Mediterranean countries and associated states of the EU contributing national funds.
- Development of new tools and technology for the identification of complex Ground Water Salinization (GWS) sources and processes.
- Collect and integrate robust datasets of critical parameters related to GWS.
- Exploit the potential of Artificial intelligence and Deep Learning methods to improve detection of patterns in multi-dimensional hydrogeochemical and isotope data.
- Elaborate tailor-made risk assessment and development of management plans by coupling salinization forecasts with climate change impacts and future scenarios.
- Develop a public domain web-GIS Observatory for monitoring, alerting, decision support and management of coastal groundwater reserves around the Mediterranean.
- Digitization and development of integrated Geo-Database.
- Development of MEDSAL mobile app.
- Development of MEDSAL web-GIS Observatory.
- MEDSAL web portal